When a person drinks excessive amounts of alcohol despite the negative consequences that it causes, he or she might have a drinking problem. A person with a drinking problem cannot control how much they drink or continues to drink after having too much.
The signs of having a drinking problem are:
- Drinking more than intended
- Inability to cut back on drinking
- A lot of time spent thinking about alcohol and the next drink
- Missing work, school, or other important activities
- Having relationship problems due to drinking alcohol
- A lot of time recovering from the effects of alcohol
If you want to help a loved one who has a drinking problem, there are some important “Do’s” and “Don’ts” to be aware of before approaching him or her with your concerns.
- Never use shameful, demeaning, or negative language
- Do not threaten or plead
- Do not lecture
- Do not use labels when talking about the problem
- Express your concern for his or her health
- Offer to see an addiction counselor with him or her
- Use “I” statements to express how his or her drinking affects you
A person might not be aware he or she has a drinking problem and could have an underlying mental health issue that needs to be addressed. Many people with depression, anxiety, or PTSD turn to alcohol as a way to escape the symptoms of their mental health condition. The individual can feel guilty, shamed, or have low self-esteem.
Join a support group with your loved one and talk to others in similar situations. Learn about the struggles that other members have with alcohol and listen to people share their stories with alcohol addiction. Connect with others in the group who can be a positive influence on you and your loved one.
Encourage your loved one to get help and offer to go with him or her to see a counselor or therapist who specializes in alcohol addiction. Attend group meetings with him or her and show your loved one that you care about his or her well-being.
Recovery begins with you. You have to make the decision, now, to call and ask for help, get to treatment, and start a transformational, life-changing journey. The power to heal is yours. Let Enlightened Recovery Solutions show you the path of holistic treatment, bringing together the best practices of evidence-based clinical care, proven alternative healing practices, and trusted 12-step philosophy. Call 833-801-5483 today for information on our partial care programs.